tara's butternut squash toast
writer: Tara Junker
picture: Tara Junker
This is a recipe by our lovely friend Tara Junker, who also happens to be a food magician (no but seriously, you should check out her insta feed!). We are so eager to give this one a go, but now let's give Tara the word:
At first glimpse this toast may look like so much work, but both the fennel and cashew butter can be made days in advance. I always have some pickled vegetables ready in my fridge to make any meal of the day feel a bit more fancy.
- 2 slices of sourdough bread
- 1/2 small butternut squash
- 2 tsp sumac
- 1 pinch of salt
- Olive oil
- 2 dl cashews
- 1/2 tsp of chili powder
- 1 garlic clove
- salt to taste
- 1 dl white wine vinegar
- 3 dl water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons organic lemon zest
- Seeds e.g. hemp and sesame
- Rucka sprouts
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees. Place the nuts on a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes. Place the cashews in a food processor and process for about five minutes, scraping down the sides when necessary. Chop the garlic. Ad the spices and blend for another five minutes.
- Turn the oven up to 200 degrees. Slice the butternut squash (save the seeds, and toast them as a snack) and pour over some oil, sumac and salt.
- Slice the fennel into thin slices. In a small pott, ad vinegar, water and sugar. Bring to a boil. Add lemon zest and fennels into a glass jar and pour over the vinegar mix. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Toast the bread. Spread the butter on the toasts, ad the fennel and then the butternut squash. Garnish with seeds and sprouts.
P.S. We met up with Tara a couple of weeks ago to have a chat + brekkie date
and oh my it was probably the pretties brekkie anyone has ever made me!
You can read the interview here.