the art of slow mornings
writer: emma ranne
picture: emma ranne
In my perfect world every day would start with the tone of a kind slow Sunday morning. Waking up to warm sun rays and setting the tea kettle on first after some easy juicy wake up yoga while listening to your favourite morning tunes. I’ve always been a lover of mornings and I like to treat mine with care and time. It’s been my mission to add a little bit of Sunday morning feel to every morning and steer away from that early rush that way too easily sticks with you all day long.
How to give yourself a sweeter start to the day? Here are some tiny changes which you can try to add to your morning routine, just to see what happens. You can experiment and ease them into your life by trying them out one by one. Or of course go full in and try them all at once. Pick your least favourite morning of the week to start with and explore the new tones that you can give it.
Set your alarm clock a little earlier and instead of snoozing pick a tip or two from the list that fit the amount of time you have. The time indicators are there for you to see how easy you can make some little changes to even the most rushed starts of the day.
tiny Morning upgrades:
5 min or less
- Put on some easy breezy morning tunes. Create a morning playlist of your own, or try this one (30 sec). If you have a record player, maybe put a record on to add some extra festive feel.
- Leave your phone for now, maybe even put it on air plane mode. You can check what’s going on just a little later.
- Make your bed. Straight away. And open the window and let the fresh air in. You’ll already feel a little more ready for the day (1 min.)
- Try writing morning pages. Have a journal next to your bed and once you wake up just write down some lines that you have on your mind (5 min)
- Morning meditation. Start experimenting with a guided meditation sessions on apps like Headspace (5 min)
- Add some feeling to your brekkie by lighting a candle. An easy upgrade for Mondays, especially on those gloomy winter mornings (20 sec)
- Add a few drops of fresh essential oil like orange or eucalyptus to your diffuser. If you don’t have a diffuser you could try to add a drop on your skin on either your wrist, or behind your ear (20 sec)
- Pick your outfit for the day the night before or make sure you have that back up outfit hanging ready in your closet that works every time. We all have been in that situation where you’ve left home with a chaos in front of your closet and not liking what your wearing.
- Tidy up your room. Take the extra 5 min to feel on top of your game when you leave your home and create that cozy feeling for you to come back home to (5 min)
and a little more
- Morning yoga. Some easy sun salutations on your own or exploring new stretches with the help of for example this. (15+ min)
- Treat breakfast with time (30 min). Try new recipes and on those days when you know you won’t have any extra time for in the kitchen you can try and prep your brekkie the night before.
- Read a book. While having breakfast or while slowly waking up in bed. (10 min - 30 min)
- Get some fresh air. Go for a morning run and calibrate your energy for the day. If you don’t like running, try an easy morning walk (30 min)
Simple little changes and adds like these can create a whole new feel to mornings, reduce the feel of stress and give a calmer mood to the whole day ahead. Explore and try out. Picture your perfect morning and try to add bits and pieces of it to every start of the day. Once you discover what wotks for you it's time to give it a consistent spot in your morning routine. Consciously let your love for the early hours grow a little.