illustration: Saara helkala
Women's bank is a Finnish volunteer network that strives to provide women in developing countries a chance to become an entreprenour and build a career.
"Women in Finland are known for their independence and equal status with men. Finnish women were the first in Europe to win the right to vote and the first in the world to be able to stand as candidates at elections. The country’s municipal day care system has since the 1970’s enabled women to work and have careers. Now Finnish women want to give other women a chance to succeed."
In just over ten years, Women’s Bank’s volunteer network has fundraised well over 10 million euros for women in developing countries.
This money is used for
- financing projects that improve women's income, productive skills and rights.
- Microloans, upgrading skills and other activities in support of women’s entrepreneurial activity
- Other new and innovative pilot projects focused on enterprises for women.
These donations can improve women's lives drastically. To give these women tools to build a career, to become self-employed and more independent is the best gift you can give. The opportunities this program can give to these women can change their lives for good. And for these amounts that we can so easily spend on a day out on the town, you can make a huge difference in someones life.
I am guilty of getting caught up my everyday life and drowning myself mundane thoughts about what to have for dinner etc. And that's okay, sometimes your heart needs to rest for a while. But it's also important to remember the magnitude of everything around us. There is a lot of injustice in the world, and there is something that we can do about it. Even if it's a small thing to you, it can mean a lot to someone. Let's not close our eyes.
So, what can I do?
- With 15 euros you can pay for daycare so that mothers will be able to attend training.
- With 30 euros you can enable a woman to receive vocational training, in other words get a profession.
- With 50 euros you can support the business training of a woman.
- With 75 euros you can gift a microloan to start a business
Read more about Women's Bank and their mission here